We Love the Internet 2020/25: The Lego tapas factory edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Pandemic Organizers Are Co-opting Productivity Software
- The Pandemic Ad Salutes You
- Spotify staked its future on podcasts. Then the pandemic changed how we listen
- Inside Operation Pridefall: 4chan’s Attempt to Bring Down Pride 2020
- 100 Ways White People Can Make Life Less Frustrating for People of Colour
- 14 Films By Black Filmmakers That Everyone Should Watch In 2020
- The best scenes from 35 years of Studio Ghibli movies
- Replaying my shame
- Going Broke in Hollywood: TV’s Overworked Assistants Reel From Pandemic Pay Cuts
- Pandemics have fueled the rise of mega-corporations — and they’ll do it again
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- Lego Tapas Factory
- The Swish Machine: 70 Step Basketball Trickshot
- Wolverine Bone Claws VS CONCRETE!
- Eh, the clothes will probably be fine for another week..
- When The Customer Is Always Right & The Loader Don’t Give A Fuq
- This Norwegian advert for the return of the Premier League is beautiful, brilliant and unsettling in equal measure.
- If Cardi B Did The Sound Effects For Star Wars — Episode II
Things to look at/read:
- Monopolies Normal People Have No Clue Exist
- A visual guide to banknotes around the world
- A deep dive into the archives of Zara’s most ridiculous model poses
- A Legendary Hip-Hop Archive Finds a Home in Harlem
- The Incredible Story of the US Army’s Earth-Shaking, Off-Road Land Trains
- We don’t deserve dogs
- what in the world kind of pig cat eats like this
- My dog does this every time we set the table and I cannot stress enough how much I respect her optimism
- and i’ll do it again bitch
- Me ignoring “3–5 years experience preferred” and applying for the job anyway
- Man reluctantly gets into pond.
- Friction is for losers.
- I can’t fucking stop watching this tik tokkkk
Tweets of the week:
- i’m awake at 3 am and i just want everyone to know what gen z says about millennials on tiktok…..
- My dad (who is a stonemason) CARVED MY BOOK IN STONE for my birthday
- Holy shit, Icke was right.
- To make sure nobody shares a photo of you, put a GettyImages® watermark on your face mask.
- Surprise appointment in League 1 as HM The Queen is unveiled as the new Blackpool manager.
- I would love to show someone from 1995 this picture and ask them what they think is happening here
- Imagine if Shake Shack actually did poison those milkshakes. And then the government was like, “please don’t do that.” And then they did it again and killed 1000 ppl every year for roughly 50 years. And then when ppl got upset and were like, maybe we should abolish Shake Shack
- My 72 year-old mother just informed me she is going to her first “sex party” and doesn’t know what to bring. After some delicate questioning, “Gender Reveal, Mom. It’s called a Gender Reveal.”
Part 3: For the weekend
- My Secret Life as a Personal Assistant to “America’s Most Eligible Man”
- Go Get Your Knife: The Oral History of Deftones’ ‘White Pony’
- From homeless refugee to chess prodigy, 9-year-old dreams of becoming youngest grandmaster
- The man in the iron lung
- The American Nightmare
- The Story Behind Bill Barr’s Unmarked Federal Agents
- What Lockdown? World’s Cocaine Traffickers Sniff at Movement Restrictions
- The power of crowds