We Love the Internet 2020/31: The Mischief managed edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- How to Report on Internet Culture and the Teens Who Rule It
- What comes after Zoom fatigue
- Is This Amazon Review Bullshit?
- The Data-Driven Tech Engine at the Heart of Hollywood’s Content Factories
- This Too Shall Pass: Unassailable Monopolies That Were, in Hindsight, Eminently Assailable
- 40 creative moments that changed culture
- Defining the ’90s Music Canon
- You May Not Know These 15 Songs. But You’ve Heard Them.
- The Hollywood Stars That Have Been Rejected The Most Times, Visualized
- Media changes from the perspective of a 16 year old
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- 12 Year Old Terrarium — Life Inside a closed jar, Over a decade in isolation
- I Accidentally Became A Meme: Success Kid
- Karens Gone Wild: COVID-19 Edition!
- Why You Couldn’t Afford To Fly Concorde
- It’s time we had an adult conversation about PornHub’s free pass in ad land
- Today I discovered Japanese skateboarder Isamu Yamamoto. Just when you think he’s done the video gets better and better.
- I’m crying…
Things to look at/read:
- The death of nostalgia
- The Whiners Who Earn $200,000 and Complain They’re Broke
- How Costco Convinces Brands to Cannibalize Themselves
- What it’s like to lose a loved one to QAnon
- The VICE Alternative Team of the Premier League Season 2019–2020
- Woman Cooks Her Rats Miniature Versions Of Her Meals
- ants trying to steal my mail
- Sir, your tail
- The baby
Tweets of the week:
- I have no idea who to credit for this. But they deserve a Pulitzer.
- Glad to see Nicholas Cage is wearing his mask whilst shopping
- two garys, locked in an eternal struggle, pursuing each other across the globe forever.
- That moment of horror when Facebook crops your logo.
- the bread look like it hit Steve Austin with his car
- the good news is my custom facemask arrived, the bad news is that they printed my face 20% too large
- I didn’t know what I was looking at for awhile lmao
- Today will go down as the day I got drawn into an epic Twitter battle between a Microsoft employee and a “cheese” company
Part 3: For the weekend
- I Went to Disney World
- The Power of Black Lives Matter
- Why Britney Spears’s fans are convinced she’s being held captive
- The Conspiracy Theory About Wayfair Is Spreading Fast Among Lifestyle Influencers On Instagram
- Inside the World of Black Market Bourbon
- How Trump is helping tycoons exploit the pandemic
- The true story of the heartthrob prince of Qatar and his time at USC