We Love the Internet 2021/35: The Welcome to Nestflix edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Why games became luxury fashion’s NFT on-ramp
- The Pandemic Has Been Very, Very Good for the Creator Economy
- The viral Milk Crate Challenge has left people injured. Doctors are begging them to stop.
- ‘YouTube magic dust’: How America’s second-largest social platform ducks controversies
- Why no one wants their holiday to last forever
- The Meme Lords Who Are Taking Over the C-Suite
- Newsletters; or, an enormous rant about writing on the web that doesn’t really go anywhere and that’s okay with me
- Welcome to Nestflix
- The Netflix Secret Codes Cheat Sheet
- Which Singers Have the Biggest Vocabularies?
- Why CAPTCHA Pictures Are So Unbearably Depressing
- 5 Commonly Used Idioms in the Tech Industry
- Netflix and Video Games
- A people’s history of Black Twitter
- Who Actually Gets to Create Black Pop Culture?
- The Jessica Simulation: Love and loss in the age of A.I
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
- Did Olivia Rodrigo steal from Paramore?
- Drama vs reality
- Type the alphabet
- Learning the Baseball Bat Trick
- The Wildly Lucrative World of Ice Cream TikTok
- Why Mexico City’s Geography SUCKS
- guessing his job on the first try
Things to look at/read:
- A Brief History of Musicians Being Sued by Their Album Cover Subjects
- Why Do American Grocery Stores Still Have an Ethnic Aisle?
- Her Name Is Not Honey Boo Boo
- Panda Wants A Hug From Nanny, But Nanny Is Working
- Here’s A Supercut Of A Real-Life Garfield Cat On A Food Rampage
- My new favourite WFH problem. I don’t know why, it just gets funnier
- DAY 6 AND STILL NO ONE SUSPECTS!!
- Cat greetings are just incredible
- Me thinking I don’t need a basket when I pop into Tesco Metro
- Because you want to see a doggy, at a bar, watching 101 Dalmatians
Tweets of the week:
- i got fooled. i got fucking clowned on and embarrassed
- “Nobody can tell me to wear a mask but I can tell you must have a child”
- Not sure I’ve ever seen a better sign in a museum
- They saw an opportunity and they took it
- WHAT IS IN THAT BOTTLE
- Uh huh.
- The most incredible invoice ever. Hang this in the National gallery.
- The new 8 Mile looks shit
Part 3: For the weekend
- “All Roads Lead to Mar-a-Lago”: Inside the Fury and Fantasy of Donald Trump’s Florida
- “The Truth Doesn’t Recognize Retreat”: The Oral History of System of a Down’s ‘Toxicity’
- The real CEO of Succession
- Good luck, morons
- The Dresden Job
- The Spine Collector