We Love the Internet 2022/03: The misery of the hype house edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- The misery of the Hype House
- Netflix Needs New Subscribers. Its Korean Playbook Is Its Secret Weapon.
- Police Departments Are Making Their Own “Cops” Videos Counteracting Police Brutality Depicted On Social Media
- When New Journalism Was New: Gay Talese on His Legendary Esquire Profile of Frank Sinatra
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
Things to look at/read:
- Do Electric Trains Dream Of Autonomous Mobility? Yes, They Do.
- The Scientist Who Taught Rats to Play ‘Doom II’ Wants to Start Streaming it on Twitch
- Nothing Else Matters (my son on guitar)
- I told my Dad that more than 1,000 people had liked his photos of Bertie looking sad, so he made him up a special plate tonight
- After more than eight years of service, this TSA airport sniffer dog officially retired..
- This is probably my favorite dog picture of all time
- say what you will about YouTube, when the algorithm works it works
Tweets of the week:
- to make a tv show you need one banana-shaped man and one-orange shaped man. let me explain
- Tories having sex
- please don’t delete it rolling stone. this is an all time great typo.
- Hey there’s Wordle in German now!
- when someone goes into the google doc while ur working on it
- Restaurants are finally providing benefits for their workers.
- I’ve permanently broken my libido and appetite with AI generated art for “erotic tunnocks”
- I have genuinely spent 10 minutes starting at this but, no, it really DOES appear to be true that a bunch of cryptobros just spent €2.6 MILLION — 100x the asking price — for a book at auction in the mistaken belief that they would therefore own the copyright in it.
Part 3: For the weekend
- Routine Maintenance
- After the Beanie Baby bubble burst
- XXX-Files: Who Torched the Pornhub Palace?
- The Undoing of Joss Whedon