We Love the Internet 2023/16: The Everything is Clapham now edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- Is TikTok Actually Creating More One-Hit Wonders?
- … And You’re Watching the Disney Channel
- With ‘Love is Blind’ misstep, Netflix inadvertently makes a case for old-fashioned TV
- Do Hollywood Flops Kill Movie Careers? A Statistical Analysis.
- What films should we teach? A conversation about the canon
- How the Rupert Murdoch Family Drama Inspired Succession
- ‘Eighty-nine perfect minutes’: 30 of the best short films and novels
- What is ignored by the media — but will be studied by historians?
- Research Proves Your Brain Needs Breaks
- The disgusting food of TikTok: is it designed to eat, provoke — or arouse?
- A Scammer Who Tricks Instagram Into Banning Influencers Has Never Been Identified. We May Have Found Him.
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
Things to look at/read:
- Everything is Clapham now
- How a TikToker Brought Hundreds of Transplants to a Midwestern City
- The Rise of Gender-Neutral Names Isn’t What It Seems
- We’re In The Age Of The Intimacy Trap
Tweets of the week:
- I’ve had. Enough.
- sorry. I know I overuse it
- Too stunned to speak
- “say goodnight to ya nan, she’s off to bed”
Part 3: For the weekend
- Waiting for Brando
- Will the Ozempic era change how we think about being fat and thin
- In Search of Lost Time
- The Dream of the Nineties Is Alive at 90s Con
- The New Light Is Bad