We Love the Internet 2023/17: The Case of the fake Sherlock edition
Part 1: For the day job
Things to think about:
- The Internet of the 2010s Ended Today
- A Grand Unified Theory of Why Elon Musk Is So Unfunny
- The Influencer Industry Is Having an Existential Crisis
- The case for banning children from social media
- How Elon Musk Turned the Blue Check Mark Into a Scarlet Letter
- Hollywood Reporter Critics Pick the 50 Best Films of the 21st Century (So Far)
- These Are The Most Popular TV Shows on the Internet
- Companies That Get ‘Woke’ Aren’t Going Broke — They’re More Profitable Than Ever
- The campaign to save TikTok has been years in the making
- “Blurred Lines,” Harbinger of Doom
- What does it mean to be a boy online in 2023?
- Dril Is Everyone. More Specifically, He’s a Guy Named Paul.
- “F — k Him, He Loses”: The Inside Story of How Disney’s Attempt to Buy BuzzFeed Fell Apart
- Tim Cook on Shaping the Future of Apple
Part 2: For the lunch-break
Things to play with/watch/listen to:
Things to look at/read:
- Welcome to the Era of the Fake Six-Pack
- The Ecstatic Joy of Queer Friendship
- Parents are sacrificing retirement savings to set their Gen Z and millennial kids up for success, and it’s creating a ‘vicious cycle’
- Sign from above
- Behind the Scenes of Barack Obama’s Reading Lists
- Cat challenge
- Happiness is holding hands with the otters at the Dubai Aquarium
- Chase the Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- …when you ask the kids to baby sit the dog!
Tweets of the week:
- You’d be correct in thinking I’d misread this and thought the most mental thing to ever happen had happened.
- This is the most “Score! Hero” goal in the history of football. It’ll cost you about 50 quid to complete it.
- He musta thought he was in a movie lol
- The new 8 p.m. host on Fox.
- watching this is like a visual stress ball
- Absolutely astonishing view from the rear window of Napoli team bus at 3am when they landed back in Naples after beating Juventus at Turin.
- me, 31, chatting to my colleagues in their 20s
- Ha! My brilliant, supportive Mum just texted me this
Part 3: For the weekend
- The Case of the Fake Sherlock
- How Deborah Levy can change your life
- The Class Politics of Instagram Face
- Salt Bae’s former employees describe tip theft, discrimination, and polyester uniforms within the memeable meat empire